Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Historical Accuracy Fail

I'm currently working on a little costuming project, creating a gown for the
Civil War Heritage Ball
I'm attending in February.

This project takes a good deal of looking around, as there are no 1850's vintage shops, and most of the costume patterns for that era are Scarlet o'Hara inspired (not especially accurate) or meant to look like ... for lack of a more fitting word... 1850's London trollop.
Now, something you have to know about me is that I'm rather particular about historical accuracy, especially in costumes... so when I ran across these atrocities in my searchings, well, you can imagine my horror.


Exhibit A: For the London Trollop

Exhibit B: For the 1980's Girl Who Doesn't Want To Remotely Resemble Civil War Style
Exhibit C: For the ahead-of-her-time Civil War girl. About 20 years ahead, actually.(personal favorite alert)
Exhibit D: For the... wait, what the heck? For the Elizabethan courtier? What? SO confused. (and yes, that is crushed velvet)



Remember, these are supposed to be Civil War era.

Sad, sad, sad.

Yes, I'll definitely be making my own.

4 comments:

Dani said...

I have always wanted to make my own civil war era dress... sigh with bell hoop skirts and trillions of petticoats... I will be living vicariously through this post instead.

Katie said...

VERY sad. Oh, and just let me say this, go for a really big hoop skirt. You only get to wear those rarely, and they are SO MUCH FUN!!

And I'm very jealous that you're getting to go to Caroline's ball. (Well, not exactly her's, but still...)

I hate the distance between Mississippi and Texas.

Hate it.

Tim said...

Sad indeed! but it makes me laugh all the same. I've run into the same problem lately trying to research Regency costumes for a movie project. If it looks old it must be period, right?

Good to hear from you again! It's been quite a while.

rachel tsunami said...

each gasp was louder and more sincere than the last.