Wednesday, August 26, 2009

the very last first time

my last first day of homeschool is coming up in 5 days. though i've always looked forward to this part of "it", i'm suddenly just sad. and thorougly understanding of the phrases "bittersweet" and "mixed emotion" though they are cliched i realise. i also remembered this one day of school that for some reason stuck in my head - i must have been 7 or 8, and caitlin and i were sitting in the schoolroom together, wearing our favorite dresses which were absolutely horrid (the yellow/pink ones with the upside-down tulips sketches. thank you mamadah for trying so hard to get us to relinquish them.), having an eraser war instead of doing our handwriting.

and this time next year i'll (hopefully) go trotting off to the scary world of college, no longer young enough to hypothetically apply to hogwarts or be a part of one of those 80's highschool movies. the teacher won't take pictures of us, or give us butterfly day picnics, or let us paint our faces like celts and stand on our desks yelling war-cries. but on the bright side... it will be different, it will be exciting. i am excited about new things, i am sad about old things, and they are swirling together like the whipped cream and chocolate in my drink did when my little brother stuck his finger in it just now. ew.

this year of school will be most exciting. the most exciting parts are these:

gileskirk modernity
(oh the wonders of george grant!)
spanish II
teaching company physics course
being done with math FOREVER after this fall!
(maybe not forever, but if i can help it...)
greek!
art history class this spring
the amazing literature course mamadah has planned for me
taking piano for the first time
i'm doing more than this (yeep!) but these are the really exciting parts.
this year i'm going to faithfully take pictures and blog... it seems appropriate. and its probably the best thing to do to keep myself from (horrors!) scrapbooking, which i admit myself to have always kind of wanted to do. not cheesy scrapbooking. pretty scrapbooking. maybe i will. hmm.

3 comments:

Dani said...

Excellent! Chronical your year. It will be awesome.

Anonymous said...

I think you should scrapbook if you want to! You could revitalize the genre! You could publish a manifesto on the new era of scrapbooking!

I understand your feelings, but I am SO EXCITED about next fall!!!! It'll be great!!

Katie Larissa said...

Since we, as homeschoolers with tons and tons of awesome perks all through out our school years, don't get yearbooks, I have faithfully scrapbooked each highschool year so far. Right now I'm doing my junior year, which was actually my least favorite, and I'm living my senior year, which I am determined to make my favorite. Can you determine something like that?

I wrote a post about my last first day just Sunday night... I actually remembered it was that because of reading Betsy and Joe and it being Betsy's senior year. All those Betsy Tacy books are amazing!

Okay, long comment. Sorry!