Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gigi Louise

This is my wonderful Gigi. She died 14 months ago... I don't think I'm over it yet, because I still cry when I see old women who look like her.

My cousin just sent me this picture, and it's perfect. This is how I see her in my mind. I don't think people are the same as she was... she just felt different. Somebody asked me recently about her home, Bailey, the family home... I didn't know how to describe it, because the way one usually describes places just doesn't work when describing Bailey... it was everything good, everything I miss. The light and the air always felt soft and heavy, the air smelled of clover, magnolia and sweet musty old pears. There was a garden in the back and soft wet grass, a porch of cold green peelypainted cement, and a train that passed by across the road. Nothing was hectic there, time felt irrelevant.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

elliebird said...

i remember. i was only there twice, i think, but it's stuck with me.

Lynn Bruce said...

Oh. Miss her so.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Claire, that picture went so straight to my heart. That's exactly how I remember her too.

rachel tsunami said...

you captured it.