Friday, February 19, 2010

love and happiness

2 things i've been thinking about alot recently.


this year i'm reading through Gretchin Rubin's "the happiness project"
and one thing she advises is

act the way you want to feel

which is SO true.

isn't that just the soul of optimism? it takes so much hope and optimism to think "i know i'll get to feeling and being that way soon, so i might as well start acting that way now"... really the most pessimistic way you can act is like now is all that matters, that your annoyances and trials at this moment are everything to everyone.

i am an optimist, i have learned... but what percentage of the things i say every day are negative? i think at some point i figured out that if i said all the things i wanted to say, people called me naive and a bit silly, so somewhere along the way i stopped saying the happy things i think. this must stop, it's just silly... and i think it ties right into that advice.


act the way you want to feel
speak the way you want to feel


i'm going to start telling people what it is i love about them. because that is a good thing to do. i'm always telling other people how much i like a person and what i like about them , but i very seldomly tell that person.

here goes for a start...

I LIKE YOU!

4 comments:

Reuben said...

i like that idea, telling people what you love about them. people need to hear those things

Anonymous said...

Good old Claire. You're my favorite spud in the world!

. . . and I needed these thoughts today. Thank you. Miss you so much.

Kate said...

My problem is I've never stopped saying positive things when everyone WANTS to be grouchy. So they think I'm a pollyanna and give me this "are you kidding me, really?" kind of look. Sometimes I wish people would let go of the need to be upset about something. Because they really don't need it at all. Smiling and laughing is so much more attractive!
Anyway, I love YOU more than words can say and one of the things I love about you is that when you begin to understand a truth and take it to heart, you live by it with all your might. Keep doing that, it takes courage to be in such a constant state of self-discovery and change.

rachel tsunami said...

kate is so right. it takes great courage. but once it becomes a habit, you are intrepid! I think what Kate said of you is one of the most strengthening and approbative things one could say of another person:

"one of the things I love about you is that when you begin to understand a truth and take it to heart, you live by it with all your might."

Dear Beatrice:
I want to be skinny. I try to act skinny, and think of myself as skinny, but when I see pictures that other people take of me, I see that it isn't working. Help! Giggling about this doesn't use up enough calories to tilt the scale...so to speak.
Adipositively Yours,
Rotundaniqua