Tuesday, December 01, 2009

We've Got Something Permanent

"The more I read the papers, the less I comprehend the world and all
it's capers and how it all will end"


My birthday is coming up in a few days ... and suddenly I feel old. I'm not really that old. There's so much ahead of me, I know. But when I think about how much is behind me, I am amazed.


Think of how much can happen in a lifetime.

I remember when Friends premiered.

I remember when this was a nice phone. -->

I remember when Prince was "the artist formerly known as Prince" (dummy)

If I was a computer, I would be "retro" and I wouldn't work anymore.

When did this happen?


I was thinking about it all last night. If in the first few decades of my life things can change this much, what will the world be like when I am 30... 50... 80? Will every change be scary?

But really ... what do we have to fear? In every change I feel God, because He is unchanging. And isn't that comforting? To know that in ten years God will be the same.

Think about it. Exactly the same. We change so much every year, so can we even fully comprehend the idea of never changing?

Did you ever hear the story about the blind men and the elephant? Three blind men are given an elephant, and instructed to figure out what it is. They touch the unfamiliar shapes and because they each touch only one part of the elephant they cannot comprehend what it is.

As I think ahead, feeling my way blindly through the future, I cannot know what it is I will find there... except for God, His truth, His love, there in that unknown.

Finding Him in the dark unknown is like handing a teacup to one of the blind men - familiar, comforting. Something we know in the midst of all we do not know.

"In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may
tumble... they're only made of clay, but... oh, our Love is here to
stay."

3 comments:

elliebird said...

uh. dude. we'll be able to vote. and go to jail. and buy tobacco. kinda scary.

Rachel said...

this was lovely, and just what I have been thinking as of late... yikes. it is scary. but God is not. =]

Dani said...

Yes, many things change, but much doesn't. Time just keeps clicking away unaware of any of us. Wait till you have a kid, time flies and I swear he's growing up much faster than I did. ;)