Cecil and Percy recieved another letter from our dear friend Emily, requesting Gnomely aid and council.
My Dearest Cecil and Percy (Cecil, though you may protest and snarl and snap, I do find you to be quite dear indeed),
As of late I have been particularly singular in my musical philanthropies (most of my contributions have gone toward, well, alternative pop -- horrors). I feel that this behavior must change immediately, oh I may be in grave danger of adapting to the mainstream culture.
Any recommendation of anything even vaguely counter-culture would be most gratefully received and appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Me
and their response:
Greetings, dear child,
You are come to the right place. Human opinion of Gnomes has been made rather... askew... and you silly people have somehow got the notion that Gnomes are rather sedentary and unartistic. This rather awfully ignores a huge part of our culture! I (Cecil) amn't a singer or dancer myself (though I am rather gifted with the lute), it's too horridly silly for my taste, but Percival tells such goosey stories about Gnome dances and musical evenings!
Gnomes believe that there is a soul to music... that in the air there float many thousands of musical ideas, and that those ideas fly through seas and forests and far off lands, and each place they go shapes them. These musical ideas are like people, in this way. When finally they light on someone to give them form, the artist must show his talent in expressing the character and experience of that idea. It may sound like just the sort of silliness I would customarily scorn, but there you are wrong. There are subtleties in the field of spunk that I fear others often miss.
Percival and I have created a list of musicians we find evocative of the Gnomeish music spirit.
1 - Lisa Hannigan's album, "Sea Sew"
2 - H.E.M. - really any of theirs... start with "Rabbit Songs"
3 - Emiliana Torrini - start with "Fisherman's Woman"
4 - Landon Pigg's album, "The Boy Who Never"
5 - Feist's albums, "Let It Die" and "The Reminder"
We hope this helps you to break away from mainstream culture and explore new realms of art and beauty!
Sincere affection,
Cecil Alexander Beatley and Percival Eugene "Percy" Worthington
(Post Script: Emily, you are indeed a silly thing. I think perhaps your definition of dear is... askew. Humans. That being said, you seem to be rather an endearing one and so I shall let this lapse in propriety slip. Respectfully, C.A.B.)
Monday, November 23, 2009
A lesson from your friends, No. III
Posted by beatrice at 10:39 AM
Labels: gnomes, lesson from your friends, music
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Funny, the Gnomes' musical taste is quite similar to Claire's.
which may explain why they are such goodly friends.
Cute blog! :)
ah.. Gnomes have wonderful music taste
Post a Comment